Website by HYDRA
In the 13th century the fortifications of Carcassonne, Montsegur, Peyrepertuse, Puilaurens and Queribus were used by the Cathar religious order before being imprisoned and tortured by the French army during a Papal Legate.
Up to the signing of the ‘Treaty of the Pyrenees’ in 1659 the fortifications of Carcassonne, Peyrepertuse, Queribus, Puillaurens, Termes and Aquilar were used to guard the border between France and Aragon of Spain. After the signing of the Treaty the forts lost their military significance and were demobilized and turned over to civilian use.
The village of Rennes le Château with its Masonic church and Templar connections is also part of the region. The Col St Louie which is located close to Mouli D’al Roc was once used by Hannibal and his elephants on his military campaign as they crossed one of the Pyrenees lowest passes.
|Motorcyle Tours & Trail Riding|
|Renne le Chateau|